What is Microblading?
Microblading (or eyebrow embroidery) is a relatively new, manual method which does not use a normal permanent makeup machine. Manual Microstroking, sometimes referred to as Microblading, Brow Micropigmentation, Manual Technique, Hand Method Eyebrow Permanent Makeup, Feather Brows, 3D-6D Brows, Cosmetic Tattooing and Eyebrow Embroidery, originated in Asia and has become very popular in in the last few years across the world.
Microblading is done by using a unique hand instrument with a small row of very fine needles that deposit pigment into the epidermis with slicing, feathering strokes. The pigment is implanted in the basal membrane which divides the epidermis from the dermis layer of the skin. This creates very crisp, fine hair strokes that don’t blur after healing like you would experience with a traditional permanent makeup machine.
What to Expect
What is the typical cost?
Remember, you get what you pay for! Competitors may charge less, but this requires a higher price tag brows frame the face so it’s critical they are perfect. Our fees are:
- Initial treatment for brows starts at $550. This includes the first touch-up within 4-10 weeks.
- Touch-up within 6 months $100
- Touch-up 6 months-year $200
- Touch-up between 1-2 years $250
Sugared Microblading Appointment Policy
- The total cost of the appointment is $550.
- To book an appointment, a non-refundable deposit of $100 is required. This deposit is non-refundable in any event.
- The remaining balance will be processed on the day of your appointment.
On the Consultation Day
- Please arrive at least 10 minutes before your appointment. Late arrival will not be accepted, please call us; it can lead to your treatment being postponed to another day.
- We clean your brow area with sterile, hygienic pads and draw the brow form onto your skin.
- A photo will be taken, often a photo will show defects or issues that may need to be addressed.
- We use a sterile microblading tool and disposable blade during your procedure.
- We use EU Regulated Permanent Makeup high quality pigments, specially manufactured for microblading.
- Consultation discussing treatment, shape, and pigment color.
- Shape is drawn with a soft pencil.
- Numbing cream is applied to the skin; this takes approximately 20-30 minutes to take effect.
- Pigment is applied with a manual tool using our technique.
- Pigment is left to absorb and work its magic!
- We clean the area and apply a healing cream.
- Look at your new, gorgeous brows!
Before Your Appointment
The following restrictions are to ensure your skin is in the best possible condition for an amazing microblading procedure. Please read carefully:
- Please do not work out the day of the procedure as the body heat will expand the pores.
- Avoid heavy sunlight and especially sunburn three (3) days before the procedure. Skin should not be in the process of healing before the procedure!
- Do NOT drink coffee or anything with caffeine the day of the procedure.
- Do NOT take Aspirin, Niacin, Vitamin E and/or Ibuprofen, omega-3, unless medically necessary, 48-72 hours prior to the procedure. (Tylenol or acetaminophen is okay)
- Do NOT drink alcohol 24 hours before the procedure.
- The following treatments should avoided within four weeks of the procedure:
- Botox or other fillers
- Chemical Peels
- Laser treatments
If you have any questions about these restrictions, please give us a call! We’re happy to help.
Terms and Conditions
Candidates who are seeking permanent makeup and who may be contraindicated (meaning those that I cannot treat) are:
- Those under 18 years of age
- People with diabetes
- Pregnant and lactating women
- People with glaucoma and people who are taking blood thinning medicines (e.g., aspirin)
- People with skin diseases such as psoriasis, eczema and undiagnosed rashes or blisters on the site that is to be treated
- People with allergies to makeup or colors
- Those with easily triggered post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation are not good candidates
- Those with transmittable blood conditions like HIV or Hepatitis
- Active skin cancer in the area to be tattooed
- Are a hemophiliac
- Have healing disorders, on blood thinners, uncontrolled high blood pressure or had Mitral Valve Disorder
- Those on any skin medication such as Roaccutane, steroids which thin and oversensitive the skin
Let us know if you have/had allergic reactions to topical anesthetics.
- AHA’s (lactic, glycolic, citric, retinoic and tartaric acids) or any OTC creams and lotions for tone correcting, anti-aging, exfoliating, fading can discolor your permanent makeup.
- Flu or Cold: Please stay home, reschedule your appointment if you have cold or flu or sinus/respiratory infection.
- Coumadin: Amount of bleeding and response to topical epinephrine will determine coverage per appointment. If excessive bleeding occurs, extra appointments may be necessary for desired outcome or procedure may not be effective.
- Cancers/Chemotherapy: Doctor’s clearance may be necessary.
- Laser eye surgery: Wait about 3 months for eyeliner procedure. All other permanent makeup procedures are ok.
- Juvederm or other “fillers”: Get permanent makeup first or ask your Juvederm tech for clearance.
- Shingles (varicella): If you have shingles on your face, wait several months to get permanent makeup.
- Eyelift or blepharoplasty: Wait about 3 months.
- Eyelash extensions: AFTER permanent makeup, not before. Or remove them before your procedure.
- Pinkeye: As soon as the infection has cleared and medication completed.
- Cold Sores: Clients with a history of cold sores need to premedicate with an anti-viral drug (Zovirax, Valtrex, or Acyclovir) prior to a lip coloring procedure.
I reserve the right to refuse my services.
Prices are subject to change anytime.
Microblading post-care is very important to the appearance and longevity of your new eyebrows. Do not let any water, lotion, soap, or makeup touch your eyebrow area during the first 7 days after your procedure.
After 5-7 days, make sure your hands are completely clean and gently apply the post-care ointment with clean hands. This can be done once at nighttime, but be sure to use the ointment sparingly as your skin needs to heal itself. Please continue to apply the ointment for 7 days.
The following must be avoided during all 14 days post-microblading procedure:
- Increased sweating
- Practicing sports
- Hot sauna, hot bath, or Jacuzzi
- Sun tanning or salon tanning
- UV/UVA Rays or chemicals as they have been known to cause a shift in color and premature fading
- Any laser or chemical treatments or peelings, and/or any creams containing Retin-A or Glycolic acid on the face or neck
- Picking, peeling, or scratching of the micro pigmented area in order to avoid scarring of the area or removal of the pigment
- Performing tasks related to heavy household cleaning such as garage or basement cleaning where there is a lot of airborne debris
- Drinking alcohol in excess, as it may lead to slow healing of wounds
- Driving in open air vehicles such as convertibles, boats, bicycles, or motorcycles
- Touching of the eyebrow area except for when rinsing and applying the post-care cream with a cotton swab
Please wash your face carefully around the eyebrow without getting water on the treated area.
During the shower, keep your face away from the showerhead or take a bath.
Itching and flaking may appear during the first seven days post-microblading procedure. However, experience has shown that by following these after-care instructions, these symptoms may quickly disappear.
If you have any unexpected problems with the healing of the skin, please contact Sugared immediately, to discuss further instructions.
Contact a physician if any signs or symptoms develop such as the following: fever, redness at the site, swelling, tenderness of the procedure site, elevated body temperature, red streaks going from the procedure site towards the heart, and/or any green/yellow discharge that is foul in odor.
What to Expect During and After your Microblading Session
Entire healing process will take from 4-6 weeks depending on your body regeneration and age. Your new eyebrows will go through several phases during the healing cycle.
The pigment will appear very natural looking immediately after the procedure. The color of the pigment will appear much darker the next day.
Note that because of natural skin regeneration, after recovery period (peeling), brows might appear lighter than original. This might give you the impression that color is fading too quickly. Often even with proper care, clients may lose original hairstrokes which make brows look uneven. It is absolutely normal. That’s is the reason why most customers need a touchup after 6 weeks.
Once the healing of the skin starts taking place, it will look like dandruff flakes or dry skin. However, this is just superficial color and dry skin being naturally removed from your eyebrows. The final look of your eyebrows will be apparent approximately 30 days after your procedure.
Never rub the treated area as it will disturb the skin from natural healing.
Once completely healed, always apply a layer of sunscreen SPF 30 up to SPF 50 on your eyebrows when exposed to the sun. Sun exposure might cause the color pigment to fade away more quickly. When using foundation, be aware when applying to avoid your healed eyebrows. If foundation covers healed brows, your eyebrows will appear lighter.
You can now enjoy your beautiful new eyebrows! You will simply love your new gorgeous fresh look!
Frequently Asked Questions
Microblading is the artistic technique of tattooing individual hair strokes with a handheld tool called a microblade. Unlike traditional tattooing, which uses a machine, microblading artists hand draw each hair to match the color and coarseness of your eyebrows. The result? Gorgeous, natural looking eyebrows.
Microbladed eyebrows last 1 to 2 years for most people before it usually needs a touch up.
Most clients report little or no pain! We use a topical anesthetic before the procedure to numb the affected area.
- Initial treatment for brows starts at $550. A complimentary consult is required, and this includes the first touch-up within 4-10 weeks.
- Touch-up within 6 months $100
- Touch-up 6 months-year $200
- Touch-up between 1-2 years $250
It usually takes 3.5 hours, with most of the time spent going over colors and drawing eyebrow shapes.
Call or text Hawley at (530) 208-7220. A $100 deposit is required when you make your appointment, which will be applied to your balance.
Before your appointment, we highly encourage our clients to check out our Instagram and “shop” for eyebrows on our feed. Eyebrows come in many shapes and styles, from feathered to bold, arched to straight. The microblading artist will work with you to customize your best brows. In the week before your appointment, we recommend avoiding blood thinners, aspirin, alcohol or using retinol creams.
You’ll be able to wear your new brows back to brunch! In the first 7 days, you’ll need to avoid getting them wet, working out or wearing brow makeup. Read more on aftercare here. It takes about 30 days to completely heal, in which time you may experience mild scabbing.
Stay out of the sun and water while your microblading heals. Avoid chlorine, exfoliation creams, and sun exposure; they may cause your color to fade. We recommend applying a small amount of ointment twice a day. Read more about aftercare here.
We offer a complimentary touch up between 4-10 weeks of your appointment. After that, we charge a fee. See pricing for microblading touchups here.
No, we do not recommend microblading while pregnant or breastfeeding.
Microblading is not recommended for those with oily skin or large pores. If that’s you, you may want a shading or combination shading and microblading technique. We also do not provide microblading for people: under 18 years old, pregnant or nursing, if you have diabetes, glaucoma, skin diseases such as Shingles, psoriasis or eczema on the area of treatment, allergies to makeup, Keloid disorder, HIV/Hepatitis, skin cancer, hemophilia, or if you’re taking skin medications like Roaccutane and steroids. Please read our complete Terms and Conditions.
We recommend getting permanent makeup first, or ask your Juvederm specialist for clearance.
It’s great for that! But we recommend sending us a photo of your eyebrows without makeup so our artist can review and let you know whether you’re a candidate for microblading.
Yes! Microblading works on all skin tones and colors. Check out our Instagram feed. If you have oily skin, large pores, Keloid disorder, we do not recommend microblading. See our full list of contraindications (meaning cannot treat).
Technically microblading is a form of micropigmentation, but we use a microblade to hand draw individual hair strokes. Micropigmentation specialists use a permanent makeup machine, which offers less control and results in blurrier strokes.
Yes! Because we hand draw every hair stroke, you’ll marvel at this super precise technique.
Believe it! This treatment transforms people’s lives! That’s why we’re so passionate at Sugared about the work we do.
Hawley did microblading on my eyebrows and it was amazing! I went from no eyebrow to eyebrow!!!! She educated me about the whole process and answered any questions that I had. I highly, highly recommend her… She makes the whole experience amazing and never awkward.